Some people are too afraid to visit a dentist. No matter how old they are they still have that fear. Probably, an experience they had when they were a child traumatized them, or they just do not like other people going through and looking in their mouths. However, visiting a dentist regularly is a must. Depending on what your reason is for visiting your dentist, here are the common things to expect on a dental checkup.
- The dentist would take a look at your mouth. Evaluate your overall health and oral hygiene.
- The dentist will evaluate your risk of having a tooth decay and gum disease.
- The dentist will also evaluate if you need a tooth restoration or tooth replacement.
- If tooth decay or plaques are seen, the dentist might go through on having a cleaning procedure. Usually, this lasts for a few hours also depends on the plaques that need to be removed.
- During this time the dentist will also need to see if a tooth needs to have a dental filling procedure. A dental filling is a procedure that closes off spaces on the teeth where bacteria can enter. This is usually done if the hole on the teeth is still not that deep and you do not feel any a toothache yet.
- The dentist will assess if you need fluoride or not.
- The dentist will demonstrate and teach you the proper way of brushing and flossing.
These are what you will be expecting on a regular dental checkup. In rare cases, there are some procedures that need to be done depending on the issue you’re having or how your teeth are positioned.