Cosmetic Dentistry – The Basics
Cosmetic dentistry is the division of dentistry that deals with increasing the aesthetic value of a person’s smile. It aims at improving the appearance of teeth via different dental treatments.
The dentist providing cosmetic dentistry procedures is known as a cosmetic dentist. And while this branch isn’t a recognized specialty, the demand for aesthetic procedures has made cosmetic dentistry the most sought-after specialization. General dentists take on additional training to become experts in this particular field.
Why Is Cosmetic Dentistry Important?
Cosmetic dentistry helps people achieve the smile they desire. In turn, this helps people feel more confident. Self-esteem issues are a very common thing in people with poor teeth. The elevated self-confidence after a smile makeover allows people to live positive and successful lives.
Cosmetic dentistry procedures also give people the push they need to start taking care of their oral health better. To maintain the lifespan of the procedures performed, patients are often asked to pay extra attention to their oral hygiene. This means regular checkups, brushing and flossing daily, avoiding colored foods and drinks, and giving up smoking.
What Procedures Are Involved In Cosmetic Dentistry?
Numerous procedures come under the banner of cosmetic dentistry. These are –
The simplest and most effective way to jazz up your smile. Patients can opt for in-office bleaching that is performed by a dentist in a controlled environment. The in-office process yields the best results. Alternatively, patients can also opt for take-home kits provided by a cosmetic dentist. They can use these at home over an extended period to achieve desired results.
Over-the-counter options are also available. These include whitening toothpaste, oral strips, oral rinses, etc. These aren’t as effective as professional whitening options.
Composite fillings are the aesthetic alternative to the traditional amalgam filling. Used in cases of decayed teeth, composite is a tooth-colored material placed on the affected tooth and cured using UV light.
Composite fillings are extremely durable. Aside from decayed teeth, these are used to fill in gaps, on chipped teeth, on worn teeth, etc.
Dental crowns are prosthetic units placed onto teeth to maintain their structural integrity. Additionally, they also restore the tooth’s function. These are used in instances where a tooth has decayed, had undergone a root canal, is cracked, is severely discolored, or is misshapen. The materials used to manufacture crowns are metal, porcelain-fused-to-metal, resin, etc.
Dental bridges are used to replace missing teeth. They are made of artificial teeth with dental crowns on either end. The crowns are attached to the teeth present adjacent to the gap in the dentition. The artificial teeth fill up the space, thereby restoring the dentition.
Famous as “Hollywood Teeth”, veneers are custom-made shells that are attached to the front surfaces of teeth. These are used to change the size, shape, length, and color of original teeth. The enamel on the front surface is shaved away and the wafer-thin veneer is cemented onto it.
Implants are considered the perfect appliances for tooth replacement. The implant posts are made of titanium, a highly biocompatible material, and these are surgically embedded in the jaw bone. The unison of the post and bone forms a very strong and stable base that is responsible for a dental implant’s success rate. This process, known as osseointegration, is also the reason why dental implants tend to last a lifetime.
The implant post is topped off with the tooth replacement – a dental crown, a bridge, or a denture.
What Are The Pros And Cons Of Cosmetic Dentistry?
Pros of Cosmetic Dentistry
- Cosmetic procedures help fix any issues with a person’s smile. With the problem resolved, the patients feel an increased sense of self-esteem. When a person has a healthy smile, they tend to be more confident in both personal and professional settings.
- Issues with your oral health subsequently affect your general health. Diabetes, kidney diseases, cardiac diseases, etc. are just some of the consequences of poor oral health. Cosmetic dentistry helps take care of any issues with your dentition, thereby elevating the status of your general health as well.
- Healthy teeth are responsible for not just your internal health but also maintain your facial structures. With premature tooth loss, a person tends to look much older because of the lack of support to the jaw bone and facial tissues. Once the issues are taken care of, a person appears much more youthful.
Cons of Cosmetic Dentistry
- The biggest con associated with cosmetic dentistry is that of cost. Something that has the potential to change someone’s life doesn’t come cheap. Certain procedures might also not be covered with dental insurance. Get in touch with our team at le Sueur to find out what our charges are for various procedures.
- Teeth might feel extra sensitive right after a procedure. While this goes away on its own, it can be bothersome for the number of days it is present.
- If you’re thinking of undergoing a cosmetic procedure, make sure you’ve made an informed decision. Most treatments are not reversible, so being 100% confident about your decision is important.
How To Find An Expert In Cosmetic Dentistry?
While it may seem like a daunting task to find a dentist, it isn’t. Here are some ways through which you can find a dental office that is perfect for you and your family.
- Ask for a recommendation from people you know – family, friends, coworkers, neighbors, etc. People can share their experiences with dental establishments in your area, helping you decide which one to visit.
- Similar to asking for recommendations from people you know, you can also ask your general healthcare personnel and the local pharmacist. Healthcare professionals are very well-connected and can provide a fantastic insight into the local dental offices in your area.
- A quick internet search can also redirect you to dental offices in your vicinity. Additionally, patient testimonials on office websites can also help you decide if that particular office is for you.
- You can also take advantage of the American Dental Association’s “Find A Dentist” feature.
People residing in Le Sueur, Belle Plaine, New Prague, Montgomery, St. Peter, Arlington, and Gaylord MN can come over to Le Sueur Family Dental for their dental needs. To book a consult with our dental experts, give us a call at (507) 665-6812.