Have you ever thought what you would do without your precious pearly whites? Your teeth are your best friends. They help you attract your favorite people and eat your beloved foods. They are tried and trusted allies, and if you take good care of them, they will not leave your side for a long time. You know your teeth are tough and help you tackle any edible. However, did you know your teeth are the hardest part of your body? Here is a look at some more interesting and quirky dental facts that you should know:
- Your teeth are as uniquely yours as your fingerprints. Even twins do not have identical teeth.
- Tooth enamel is the most mineralized tissue of the human body, and once decayed it cannot grow back.
- If you think your teeth are lifeless, think again. The inside of a tooth is filled with connective tissues nerves and blood vessels.
- You do not get to see the whole picture. One-third of your tooth is underneath your gums.
- Adult humans have 32 strong teeth while babies only have 20.
- The “milk teeth” start to form in the womb but do not make an appearance until the baby is about six months old.
- A knocked out tooth starts dying within 15 minutes, but if you place it in milk and rush to a dentist, you can save it.
- Plaque on your teeth is home to more than 300 different types of bacteria.
- If you do not take good care of your teeth, you will be at higher risk of seemingly unrelated diseases, like diabetes, osteoporosis and heart complications.
- Brushing your teeth is not that time-consuming. An average person spends only 38.5 days brushing their teeth in their lifetime.
- Tooth decay is the second most common disease in the US, after the common cold.
We bet you did not know your teeth were this interesting. These quirky dental facts are a testament to your teeth’s coolness. Take care of your teeth and visit your dentist regularly.