It’s pretty much a given that if you don’t take good care of your teeth, you will start facing dental problems and might even up losing a few teeth too. Well, the older you get, the more difficult it gets to reverse the damage, so it’s best that you get your kids to start taking care of their teeth from a young age. Here are 5 dental care tips for toddlers all parents should know:
- You have to use fluoride toothpaste when helping your kids brush their teeth. Experts suggest that you start brushing as soon as your kid has his/her first teeth. The reason why fluoride toothpaste is recommended is that it helps prevent decay. Also, if there is a lack of fluoride in the water supply in your area, you will have to give your kids fluoride supplements. Why not make up for it with toothpaste?
- Take your kids to the dentist at least two times a year from the time they turn one. The dentist can spot early signs of teething problems. And believe it or not, even two-year olds have had cavities in their teeth. You don’t want to risk that with your tot, do you? Prevention is better than cure.
- Use the right toothbrush which is suited for your kid’s teeth. Don’t ever buy the dollar store brushes, as they can cause harm to the kid’s gum and teeth.
- Brush your kid’s teeth gently. Don’t exert the same pressure you do when brushing your own teeth. Be gentle and soft and make sure you cover as much area as possible.
- Start flossing your kids’ teeth on a daily basis. You probably floss your teeth daily too, and it is a good practice to floss your kids’ teeth too from an early age. This ensures there aren’t any food particles or other debris stuck between the teeth. And make sure you don’t skip even a day.
These are 5 effective dental care tips for toddlers all parents should know. In case your kid feels pain or discomfort in the jaw, make sure you contact a dentist right away.